Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How To: Make a Drawstring Bag

I am so excited about this post!
A few weeks ago my pastor's wife asked if I could make a few drawstrings bags that could be used to hold a small coloring book and some crayons.
I thought it was a great idea!

Here is what i came up with!
Aren't they cute?
They are so easy to make that even YOU can make them! 

Here's How:

Step 1. Cut fabric to desired size. 
Since these are being used for a small child's activity book I decided to cut my fabric 8 inches by 21 inches wide. 

Step 2. Fold edge of fabric 1/2 inch in.
Then iron it flat and
stitch edge. 
Then snip edges with pinking shears.

Step 3.
  With right sides together stitch sides together using a 1/2 seam stopping 2 inches away from top.

Step 4. Press the top side seams open.
Then stitch around the opening. 
Be sure to pink these edges as well!

Step 4. Fold top down 1 inch
Then near the bottom stitch all the way around and turn right side out.

Step 5. Cut 2 pieces of ribbon or cording to desired length.
Then using a safety pin thread the cord through the casing. 
Add some decorative beads and then pull it tight!
And there ya go! A quick and easy Drawstring Bag!

You can also make your own straps like this:

Step 1. Cut 2 stripes of fabric.  
I decided to do 1 inch wide by 18 inches long but you can make them any size.

Step 2. Fold and iron edges in. 
Then fold and iron again. 

Step 3. Stitch along edges. 

Step 4. Using a safety pin thread strap through bag casing. 
Then fill your bag with goodies and enjoy!
I really hope that you enjoy this How To! 
Please let me know what you think of it!

Till Next Time,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment